For the Garnishes
1. Cut the pears in half lengthwise and coat with olive oil and a light sprinkling of salt. Lay them face down in a heat resistant pan or baking dish lined with baking paper and drizzle lightly with carob syrup.
2. Place into an oven set to 150C and bake for 45 minutes-1 hour depending on how ripe the pears are. Slightly firmer fruit will bake better.
3. For the whipped butter, simply combine room temperature butter with the carob syrup using an electric whisk or some elbow grease. Whip until lighter in colour and consistency, roughly 3-4 minutes.
For the Pancakes
1. Sift the pancake dry mix ingredients into a mixing bowl.
2. Separate the eggs into a large mixing bowl for the egg whites and a separate bowl for the yolks with enough space to add the buttermilk.
3. Whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks.
4. Combine the buttermilk with the egg yolks and melted butter and combine this with the dry mixture. Fold in the egg whites until the batter just comes together.
5. Place a non-stick pan over medium heat and add a small knob of butter. Add the batter to the pan to create small pancakes of about 3 heaped tablespoons of mixture without crowding the pan.
6. Once these begin to bubble, flip them over until nicely browned on both sides. You can lay these out onto a baking tray and leave them in a low oven until you are done with the entire batch.
7. Serve together with a drizzle of carob syrup.