1. Preheat an oven to 170C.
2. Prepare a sheet of foil large enough to fold in half and still wrap around 4 cloves of garlic comfortably to create a sealed package.
3. Fold the large sheet in half to create a thicker layer of foil.
4. Remove any excess papery skin from the garlic and cut the top centimetre or so off of the garlic to reveal the cloves.
5. Drizzle well with olive oil and season with salt.
6. Optionally, add a few sprigs of thyme for more flavour.
7. Pinch the seams shut to create a foil pouch for the garlic to steam in and roast for 1 hour – 1.5 hours depending on how dark you want the garlic roasted.
8. Once cooked, allow to cool slightly before removing the cloves by squishing down at the root end of the head and removing any excess garlic skins.